Friday, October 1, 2010

40. Deep Dish Apple Pie

Imagine, if you will, a piece of apple pie in the round, 6 inches in diameter, 4 inches tall, with tart, crispy, crunchy, Granny Smith apples, covered with a delicate buttered cinnamon crust, and topped off with a double scoop of Blue Bell vanilla ice cream. A meal unto itself.

Sitting around the bike shop in Big Spring, Texas, one Friday evening, someone suggested that we ride over to the Triple T Truck stop(actually Omar’s Hiway Chef Restaurant) in the morning and partake of this tasty treat. The more I heard about it, the more I became convinced I had to try this.

So bright and early the next morning, promptly at 6:00 am, a motley crew of six of us, headed west on I-20 bound for the only truck stop that specialized in this rare treat. The day was magnificent for West Texas, very little wind, hence no blowing sand. Mild temperatures, bikes running strong, CB chatter better than an FM radio with all the irritating commercials, we were on a super trip for deep dish apple pie! I couldn’t wait. Our destination was the Triple T truck stop. Yeah, baby, lead me on!

Over the years, on our rides, I have been conditioned to simply follow Miss Judy. As a result, I rarely look at a road map, trusting instead to the lead bike choosing the way. In this fashion, I can zone out and just enjoy the ride. I can now tell you, this was not wise today, but ignorance is bliss as the saying goes.

Everyone should know the final destination so that if the group becomes fragmented, no one will have to ride recklessly fast to catch up. Just a good safety rule, but sometimes...ah, well. That’s what makes for great stories.

After a couple of hours westbound on I 20 as we stopped at the Monahans rest area, I thought it prudent to ask Willie, the ride leader how soon we would enjoying this deep dish apple pie. Just a little while yet, but it’s really worth it. All righty, then. Hammer on down.

Pretty soon we were seeing signs that I 20 would be merging with I 10 west bound. I also noted the trip meter was showing close to 250 miles since we left Big Spring. This was becoming a damn long pie ride if you ask me.

A couple more hours go by and I’m noticing that we’re approaching El Paso on our left . As we enter New Mexico, it begins to dawn on me that there’s more to this pie ride than I am aware of. When we stop in Las Cruces, New Mexico, for gas and a quick hamburger, I grill Willie about where the hell is this truck stop.

At this point I am told it’s the Triple T truck stop that has this fine pie. Yeah, I got that before we left, but what I don’t get is where is the Triple T truck stop. I mean just where in the hell is the Triple T truck stop!!??

It’s in Tucson, Arizona.

Oh. Oh? OH!!!!

Belatedly, I get out the road atlas and discover the distance to Tucson, Arizona, one way, from Big Spring, Texas, is a mere 653 miles! Judy was fit to be tied when I called to report in and mention I would not be home till late Sunday night! Maybe even...Monday morning.

Damnation! Everybody laughs at my reaction as I realize I have been snookered and slowly accept that fact. Oh, what the hell, it’s been a grand ride so far and I am, after all, in the company of evil companions. Seeing as we’re well past the point of no return so I might as well relax and enjoy the rest of the ride.

We continue on past towns with exotic names; Dona, Akela, Deming, Lisbon Siding and as we enter Arizona, we pass Roadforks!

We ride on and on, passing Pomerene, Mountain View, and Vail. Suddenly, there it is! The Triple T truck stop is just ahead. It’s nearly 3:00 in the morning and we’ve been on the road since 7:00 am the previous day. This pie better be good.

The pies come out of the ovens at 3:00 in the morning, and are served piping hot with Blue Bell vanilla ice cream. This then, was the reasoning behind the day long ride. I rode all this way to experience this phenomena, so I ate the whole thing. Was it good? Oh, yeah.

Good enough for a 1,400 mile round trip? Yes, sorta, but if I had known the distance before hand, I would have planned a longer trip to further explore southern Arizona over several days. Regardless, after we finished the pie, we headed for a rest area Willie knew about.

Under a covered pavilion, on picnic tables, we grabbed about two hours sleep, wrapped up in rain gear for warmth. Light was just breaking in the east as we pulled back on the road; hell bound for Big Spring, Texas. Gonna be a long day.

One thing about super slab travel, the miles just fall away, but the quality of the ride is not what the more sedate back roads provide. But in cases like now, we have to get back to Big Spring in time to get a little rest. The work week begins in less than 24 hours and we have 660 miles to go.

So, the speed increases, the rest stops get shorter and further apart, and meals are grab ‘n go. No one is talking on the CB as it just takes too much energy. So the trip home becomes a journey of endurance. Not really unpleasant, just sort of...empty.

But this too has it’s rewards. It’s a good place and time to think serious thoughts or just review upcoming events. This is something that is an unexpected benefit of long distance touring.

So we overcome the distance with efficient riding, limiting the frequency and duration of rest stops and finally around midnight we are approaching the Midland/Odessa exit which means we are about an hour from home.

At last I pull into the garage at home and switch off the engine. Thanks to this trip I will have to change the oil and filter again and do a major clean up before the next ride. Judy wants to know all about the trip, where did we go, was the pie that good. Arrgh! I can’t talk now. I collapse on the couch and am asleep in nano seconds.

A few weeks later, I’m back at the bike shop on a Friday evening. Guys are setting around talking about setting up a schedule of rides when a newcomer, Randall Rocket enters the shop to purchase some items. He’s offered coffee, we introduce ourselves and learn that he’s from back east; New Jersey, for cryin’ out loud. A real pettyfoggin’ Yankee! He even rides a wimpy BMW!!

Then someone casually mentions how nice it would be to ride over in the morning and get some Deep Dish Apple Pie. Randall asks all the right questions about this ride and before you know it, he’s hooked! Yeah, buddy! Randall thinks this sounds like fun.

Ah, yes, Randall, m’ boy. It will be fun. Welcome to Texas!

No comments:

Post a Comment